Genuine stories this campaign has been told, from front-line library staff in Lincolnshire. We publish this to show the huge variety of work a professional librarian does, and to counter the myth that a library is just a room full of books. The dedicated library staff really are a golden thread running through our communities.
- Helping a gentleman who had been bereaved find out what he needed to do legally as well as putting him in touch with support groups.
- I printed off a 56 page document for a migrant to the area from a government website that the job centre had told them to fill in.
- Helping a lady get re united with a family members she had not seen for 30 years
- I helped someone else who couldn’t use a computer to see if they were eligible for legal aid in a particular matter by finding a website and then going through a questionnaire with them. I then printed off a list of legal firms for them to contact.
- Reuniting a local person with his dogs who had turned at the library!
- I am so regularly involved in children’s activities and class visits taken as read.
- I helped a couple with an enquiry about sheltered housing in the town where I work as the library was their first port of call. I was able to suggest one off the top of my head and a quick google search gave me some more.
- I retrieved the hard bound copies of some old editions of a local newspaper that we keep for a customer to look at and also set up the microfilm reader for them to look at some on there also.
- I put a display together to mark National Holocaust Memorial Day using printed materials and books we had in the library.
Finally, a collection of anecdotes from a mobile library worker who is doing much more than shelving books:
The mobile staff spent a year working with the National Careers Service advising people who were either seeking work, job change or training. Offering bereavement counselling (on a very regular basis). Re-homing lost dogs. Replacing blown light bulbs. Fixing outside hose pipes. Finding recipes from tv programmes. Getting new mobile phones up and running. How to drive a car with an automatic gearbox. Advising on gardening, shopping, moving house, all matters aviation (holiday and historic). Advice on beekeeping and swarm collection