WIN ON TWO COUNTS IN THE HIGH COURT!
“When this legal challenge was launched we called on Lincolnshire County Council to think again, and seriously re-consider the cuts they had proposed. They ignored my client, dismissed his claims that the consultation was flawed, and ignored the fact that the cuts could be avoided. The Court has listened and ruled that Lincolnshire County Council’s proposals, which would have decimated the library service and cost hundreds of jobs, were wrong as a matter of law.” Paul Heron, Solicitor, Public Interest Lawyers.
Our blog post on the outcome Win on Two Counts!
Blog post from Public Interest Lawyers High Court Quashes Decision
Report from The Library Campaign on the outcome LINCS LIBRARY RESCUE COULD SAVE LIBRARIES NATIONWIDE
Report in Public Libraries News (including links to media coverage): Lincolnshire Council Loses Judicial Review
Download the full judgement here: http://www.lincolnshire.gov.uk//Download/71574
More on our campaign:
1) Quick link to our donation page, we need £7500 for our legal fund. Donation Page Link
2) Inside the Judicial Review, July 2014. We have two reports from people who were in the high court during the review. Click here our campaigner’s report, and click here for the report of the chair of The Library Campaign.
3) Click here to read The Save Lincolnshire Libraries Story so Far…
5) #Lobby4Libraries - read about our day in Westminster and visit to No 10 Downing Street.
6) FULL JUDICIAL REVIEW TO GO AHEAD Lincolnshire: Full Judicial Review of Library Service to go ahead The judge did not restrict the grounds of challenge, and therefore the 4 grounds will be considered by the High Court when the case is heard.
7) LETTER TO THE SECRETARY OF STATE A former Assistant Director at Lincolnshire County Council has written to The Rt. Hon Maria Miller MP, former Secretary of State for Culture, Media and Sport to formally request that she intervene and order an urgent inquiry into the changes being made by the County Council to the Lincolnshire library service. Update, letter now sent to Sajid Javid, Maria Miller’s replacement.
8) Click here to read about the day when Helen Goodman MP (Shadow Minister for Libraries) visited campaigners at Ermine Library, 15 April.
9) Click here to read extensive press coverage of our #BigLibraryMarch in September 2013
10) The Consultation – Click here to open the full PDF of the consultation report where people completely condemn the council’s plans and their consultation: SHU-Libraries-Consultation-Final-Report-31-October-2013 (2). Click here to read: Our response to the consultation findings
How you can help
The library cuts in Lincolnshire have national implications (read this independent summary here: Lincolnshire Council’s consultation gets into further hot water … and has national implications), so we invite anyone who cares about public libraries in the UK to support us.
Follow us on Twitter @savelincslibs, Tweet your support and we will RT!
If you have more time and a blog, please write a blog post on your support of our campaign and Tweet us the link, again we will share this widely.
The nine executive members who made this decision are:
Martin Hill (Cons), click this link for contact details
Patricia Bradwell (Cons), click here for contact details
Colin Davie (Cons), click here for contact details
Peter Robinson (Cons), click here for contact details
Richard Davies (Cons), click here for contact details
Sue Woolley (Cons), click here for contact details
Barry Young (Cons), click here for contact details
Nick Worth (Cons), click here for contact details
Reg Shore (Lib Dem), click here for contact details
Also worth contacting is Jonathan Platt, Head of Libraries and Heritage at Lincolnshire County Council. His email is firstname.lastname@example.org
Click these links to
SIGN the county-wide petition against the proposals and add your comment to the 900!
Click here to Contact us
TELL THE GROUP OF ANY local meetings, events or campaigns – email email@example.com